Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gotta Celebrate!


My Vancouver Canucks just won the 3rd Round in the Stanley Cup playoffs and I am ecstatic! Vancouver is going to play in the STANLEY CUP FINALS!! That is a BIG friggin' deal, considering we haven't made it out of the 2nd round in 17 years!


I remember it so well, too. I was a HUGE fan back then and followed the Canucks soooo closely. I recall reading the papers everyday reading stats, reviews, watching all the games, hanging on my mom and brother's every word as they discussed their favourite game every day. But I didn't just follow the Canucks, I followed hockey. I watched every game that was on TV. I knew the teams in each division and kept track of their progress so I knew what to expect from the opponent.





I loved hockey so much I got a job at the Pacific Coliseum and worked the concession stands for every home game. It was amazing! I was just a teen in high school who loved hockey (especially Trevor Linden) and I got to go to all the games live! I thought it was a great job.



On weeknights, when there were evening games, I had the school bus drop me off on Hastings St. so I didn't have to go all the way home and then back out to the Coliseum for my shift. I would be in the building by 4pm and do homework until my shift started at 6pm. I got to see the players up close, watched them practice, run around the arena in their blue thermals, and I even caught a glimpse of a naked Jyrki Lumme by surprise. Hehe. Total surprise. He just walked straight out of the change room (which is right next to the staff change room). Who does that?? It's a good thing it wasn't in the era of smart phones and social media or his naked arse would have been all over Facebook in seconds!



Anyway, fast forward to 1994, I'm a year out of high school and on a delinquent trip to the Philippines for a few months. And, of course, it is the year that the Vancouver Canucks make it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals. And it goes all the way to game 7! I remember early mornings tuning into ESPN to catch the games. It was an amazing series, that didn't end too well for Vancouver.

Fast forward again to 17 years and here we are again. Glad to be home this time to witness the Cup Magic in person!




Woohoo! Congratulations Canucks! You're an amazingly strong team this year and you deserve a spot in the finals! But it's not over yet...got 4 more wins to go...Gotta BELIEVE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment